Skylights and roof windows have several benefits to homeowners. Not only do they increase the overall value of your home, but they also provide natural light in dark rooms. One of the most well-known brands in roof windows has to be VELUX. That name brings with it a guarantee of quality and durability.
Answering VELUX Questions Before Installation
If you’re considering adding a VELUX skylight installation to your home, there might still be a few questions you need clarity on. Whether you’re considering fixed non-opening, manually operated, or solar-powered, it’s important to have your questions answered, so you can make the most of yours.
As reputable VELUX installers, we have the answers to 3 of the most common questions we’ve been asked before about VELUX roof windows.
How Long Do VELUX Roof Windows Last?
In general, all of our VELUX roof windows carry a 10-year warranty. The accessories that are used to operate or maintain the windows, such as remotes, blinds and any other electric controls have a 3-year warranty. But, that doesn’t mean you’ll need to replace your windows after 10 years. Some homes that have had VELUX installed many years ago are still in perfect working order, long after the 10 years.
For additional peace of mind, know that VELUX is designed to withstand Australia’s harsh and unforgiving climatic conditions. The products and components used are certified by CODEMARK Australia. This means these products are compliant with building compliance, making them safe and durable!
Are VELUX Roof Windows Double Glazed?
Double glazing your light roof systems not only provides insulation against heat and sound but also provides added strength and safety. The double glazing also protects against the elements.
High-performance double glazing is now standard across our entire range. Here’s what we offer in terms of glazing on our VELUX roof windows:
- For additional safety, inner panes are laminated for a total of 5.36mm.
- Each outer pane is made of 3mm toughened safety glass.
- A low-E coating maximises light transmittance and reduces solar heat gain.
- An Argon filled cavity measuring 9mm with Low-E coating increases the thermal performance because it reduces the heat flow through the pane.
- The coating on the outer pane reduces the need to clean frequently.
- Warm-edge technology increases energy efficiency – which is always a HUGE plus!
Benefits of Double Glazing
As we said earlier, there are numerous benefits to having your VELUX roof windows double-glazed. Some common benefits include:
- The noise reduction factor is 32 decibels. Anything above 50 decibels is considered too loud. So, the 32 decibels are well within industry standards.
- There’s an approximate 75% radiant heat block.
- Impressively, there’s a 99% block against harmful UV rays.
- Because of the photocatalytic coating, there’s less cleaning.
- A 10-year warranty on the insulated glass seal gives you peace of mind about the quality and duration of the purchased product.
- The double layer of Low-E coating is a huge step toward saving on your energy bill. The term Low-E refers to low emittance. It’s made of a thin non-toxic coating that’s applied to window glass to improve energy efficiency.
How to Reset Your VELUX Remote Control
Just like your TV remote, your VELUX remote can also suddenly become out of sync with the product. No need to stress! Follow the five easy steps below to easily reset your remote.
- Step 1: Manually open all the windows working with the remote. Push down the lever situated on the right of the T bar and locate the reset button.
- Step 2: Press and hold the reset button for about 15 seconds. Continue pressing the button even as the chain starts moving.
- Step 3: When the products stop moving, close the window making sure the vent bar is completely closed. Switch the power off for at least 60 seconds. Repeat the steps for all the motorised windows.
- Step 4: Keep the power off and remove the back of the remote. This can be done by pushing the small tab on the back.
- Step 5: Turn the remote back on. The display will prompt you to reset the remote. Simply select yes and replace the back of the remote. Follow the series of instructions that appear on the display.
Your remote will now be ready to operate the windows.